TAS Owner Builder Course

CBOS Industry requirement

In order to become an owner-builder in TAS, you must complete this CBOS approved owner-builder course and a White Card Work safely in the construction industry CPCWHS1001 on line course for $45.
Both courses are done fully on line and certificates are emailed upon completion.

Our Courses


Worksafe section 316 (b) of the WH&S Regulation states
If you already hold a White Card that has been issued:
  • less than 2 years ago, you will be able to complete our NSW Owner Builder Course and apply for an Owner Builder Permit using your existing White Card
  • 2 or more years ago, and you have not been working in the construction industry, you will need to complete a current White Card Course in addition to the NSW Owner Builder Course in order to be able to apply for an Owner Builder Permit.
Worksafe TAS advise they are recording increasing cases of DIY’s suffering from asbestos disease through renovating houses/commercial properties built before 1990. Worksafe TAS highly recommend that owner builders undertaking renovations on a house/commercial space built before 1990 complete an Asbestos Awareness course.
ABE Education have co-developed a comprehensive Asbestos Awareness course with RTO Edway Training, which trains you to identify where asbestos may be present, what types and how to deal with it safely and which is done fully online and is approved by CBOS for all building practitioners.
Before you can apply for your owner-builder permit you must first put in place the necessary insurances including Public Liability, which you can do with our affiliate specialist owner builder insurance broker Coverforce.

Method of delivery

The courses are all delivered completely online, accessible at any time, from any location with an active internet connection. Make the most of the downloadable content for offline access, and use as a reference tool throughout the duration of your project.
Also take advantage of the additional tips and links to successfully complete your owner-built home.
Enrol into ABE Education’s online owner-builder course today and study at a pace which suits your lifestyle and commitments.

Building Surveyors and Owner Builders

The owner must engage a Building Surveyor and:
  • Present plans and specifications for the proposed works
  • Make application for an Owner Builder Permit in consultation with your Building Surveyor and lodge the application at a Service Tasmania shop
  • Have the application for an Owner Builder Permit approved by the Administrator of Occupational Licensing, and
  • Receive a Certificate of Likely Compliance from the Building Surveyor
The owner is then required to apply for a building permit.
The owner must provide the Certificate of Likely Compliance, copies of the plans, specifications and title documents to the local council (Permit Authority) with the application.
Created with